Sphecius speciosus (aka the large wasp that will kill a cicada)

I heard a thump right next to me and looked down to find the “cicada killing” wasp (Sphecius speciosus) at work.  He was looking for something to climb up so he didn’t have to gain any lift with the large cicada in tow…unfortunately he thought that was me so I had to hurriedly back away for a bit!  My brother knows that I do like wasps, so he got a good laugh out of my slight panic.

A Southern Bulb customer wrote in today to showcase their Hymenocallis ‘Tropical Giant’ blooms!  They’ve been in the ground for a few years now.  I had hoped they would have proliferated a bit more by now, but at least we’re getting some good blooms from them.  They probably have just a little too much shade, evidenced also by the blooms reaching so far out for the sun.  When blooms reach through a fence post though, it has a nice look.

Hymenocallis 'Tropical Giant'

Hymenocallis ‘Tropical Giant’

Hymenocallis 'Tropical Giant'

Hymenocallis ‘Tropical Giant’

Hymenocallis 'Tropical Giant'

Hymenocallis ‘Tropical Giant’

Hymenocallis 'Tropical Giant'

Hymenocallis ‘Tropical Giant’

Hymenocallis 'Tropical Giant'

Hymenocallis ‘Tropical Giant’

Hymenocallis 'Tropical Giant'

Hymenocallis ‘Tropical Giant’

Post Author

Bulb Hunter

This post was written by who has written 248 posts on Bulb Hunter Blog.

Chris Wiesinger, the Bulb Hunter, founded The Southern Bulb Company to share his finds with the world. Read more about Chris, or bring Chris in to speak at your next event.

7 Responses to “Sphecius speciosus (aka the large wasp that will kill a cicada)”

1. Ann August 1, 13 at 7:43 AM #

I just noticed these wasps when a couple of them got in my screened porch. Of course I rescued them and sent them on their way but not before I tried to find out what there were. Great movie clip!

2. Jen August 2, 13 at 5:57 AM #

The cicada killer in the video should be referred to as ‘she’. The females sting the cicadas to line their nests that are dug in the ground. The males are more of a territory defender. I had a female cicada killer get inside my greenhouse at work. That wasn’t fun for watering; the males will get very close to you!

3. Bulb Hunter August 3, 13 at 10:14 PM #

Ahh…interesting (“cicada killer should be referred to as she”). I saw some more videos where the males were guarding their territory. Didn’t realize the female was out doing the hunting. Yes, they get very close don’t they! My family was laughing at me because I was running around in the video above.

4. Diane Brown August 24, 13 at 7:55 PM #

Question about the white spider lilies. I have some that my son found and dug for me a couple of years ago. Yes, I have even turned my son into a bulb hunter! They have finished blooming and have made grape sized looking pods. I collected about a dozen of these. Are these seeds? If so, how should I plant them? Any help would be appreciated!

5. Bulb Hunter August 26, 13 at 8:23 AM #

They’re kind of like seeds. Put them on the surface of the soil in a moist spot but out of direct sun. They will send out a little shoot that will look for the soil and dig in. That shoot will take root. Completely unscientific answer but I hope this helps get you started!

6. Diane Brown August 26, 13 at 7:26 PM #

Yes, thanks Chris! I will try this.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Crinum Seeds Propagation | Bulb Hunter Blog - August 26, 13

[…] ‘Tropical Giant’ doesn’t produce seeds. Anyways, the answer I gave on that blog here (its in the comments section) is the same as you would do for a […]